- YouTube is free! Just sign up by creating an account and you're ready to upload your videos. You can sign up here.
- YouTube accepts a wide range of video file formats such as .WMV, .AVI, .MOV, and .MPG transferred from most digital cameras, camcorders, and cell phones.
If you wish to edit your video file first keep in mind that files converted from .wmv to one of the other formats generally have a lower playback quality than other file formats. If you have your source video in a format other than a .wmv file, you may want to encode directly to MPEG4 (DivX, Xvid, SVQ3) at 640x480 resolution, with 64k Mono MP3 Audio. If you have a source .wmv in high bitrate and larger resolution you may want to convert to MPEG4 at full resolution and then resizing to 320x240 using a high quality resizing algorithm - this can help reduce the number of artifacts you end up with.
YouTube recommends the following settings:
- MPEG4 (Divx, Xvid) format
- 640x480 resolution (* most updated recommendation)
- MP3 audio
- 30 frames per second
Resizing your video to these specifications before uploading will help your videos look better on YouTube.
- Articles on how to optimize your videos for YouTube
- I was playing around with different video formats using ProShow Gold and have some examples posted here.
- There are two ways to upload your video: by using the Single File Uploader or the YouTube Uploader. Depending on which upload method you choose, your videos can be up to 100MB or up to 1GB.
Videos uploaded through YouTube's Single File Uploader have to be under the 100MB file size limit. The longer the video is, the more compression will be required to fit it into that size. For that reason, most videos on YouTube are under five minutes long and there is a 10-minute length limit for all videos.
You can compress your video using movie editors, like Windows MovieMaker or Apple iMovie. Programs like these allow you to edit your videos, add soundtracks, and compress file sizes.
If you choose to use the YouTube Uploader, your video can be up to 1GB in size. Learn how to use the YouTube Uploader to upload large or multiple files here.
- To upload a video file
using the Single File Uploader:
It can take from a couple minutes to an hour for your video to upload to YouTube. Processing time varies greatly depending on the format of your original video,
file size, and upload traffic. This could take anywhere from a few minutes to
several hours before your uploaded video appears on the “My Videos” page.
- Click "Upload Videos" in the upper-right-hand corner of any YouTube page.
- Enter as much information about your video as possible, including Title, Description, Tags, and Category.
- Set your video to Public.
- Click the "Upload a Video" button.
- In the next window, click the "Browse" button to browse for the video file. Select the file you want to upload.
- Click the "Upload Video" button.
- To use the YouTube Uploader, you’ll first need to install it on a Windows computer. To do so, follow the steps below:
Once you’ve installed the Uploader, you’ll be redirected to the Multi-Video Upload page.
- Log in and click the “Upload” link in the upper right corner of any YouTube page.
- On the right side of the page, click the “Use multi-video uploader” button.
- You’ll immediately receive the following message: “YouTube Uploader app not running – you will be redirected to the install page.”
- Click “OK.”
- Click the “Install Windows Uploader” link.
- You’ll be asked if you want to save the “YouTubeUploaderSetup.exe” file. Click the “Save File” button and specify where you’d like the file to be saved.
- Open the file once it’s been saved to your computer and it will install the Uploader.
To upload multiple or large videos, follow the steps below:
Please note that it may take 15-30 minutes for these uploaded videos to appear on the “My Videos” page.
- Click the “Add Videos to Upload” button.
- Select the video(s) you’d like to upload.
- Once you’ve added all the videos you’d like to upload and confirmed that the total file size is less than 1GB, click the “Upload Videos” button.
- To put your YouTube videos on your At Home Tour web site you will need the YouTube URL for each of your videos. You can find the URLs by:
- Sign in to your YouTube account
- Click on Account at the top of the screen
- Click on Videos, Favorites, & Playlists under Manage My Videos
- To the right of each of your videos you will see a URL field
- Select, copy and paste that data into the URL field of your At Home Tour property description form on the Videos page. You can get to the Videos page in 2 ways.
- When you are first listing your property, you will automatically be taken to the Add Videos screen. You can either add your videos then or add them later.
- You can add, delete or change your videos at any time from the Sellers > My Property Screen. Just select Videos from the Edit drop down menu and the Manage My Videos page will pop up.